Video4Linux device capabilities

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Nov 19 07:15:33 PST 2007

On Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the lag; been traveling,
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 22:16 +0300, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > With the new 'video4linux.video_capture' and 'video4linux.tuner' caps
> > and 'video4linux.version' key.
> >
> > I'm attaching the patch I've cooked, if it seems fine to you, I'll
> > repost, as a proper git format-patch and proper dbus error code checks.
>
> This looks pretty good to me; some comments
>
>  - should use the LibHalChangeSet API (set all props in one IPC call)
>  - the spec should be updated

An other comment:

Wouldn't it be better to fix the kernel to provide a sysfs attribute with the
capabilities instead of do some ioctl calls? I think this should be easy to
fix in the kernel, which should prevent call a prober.

Do someone know if there where any discussions on the kernel ML about this in
the past? Make it sense to take a look at it?

Danny