List of hardware that isn't managed by the kernel

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Oct 7 10:27:30 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 06:32:36PM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
 > On Samstag, 6. Oktober 2007, Sven Pilz wrote:
 > > Hello
 > >
 > > It is possible to create a list of hardware that isn't managed by the
 > > kernel, e.g. because of a missing driver or an failure, with HAL?
 >
 > No, it's not possible since HAL get all information from proc and sysfs, which
 > mean it get only info from devices which are handled by the kernel.

The kernel exports info about driverless devices too.

It shouldn't be too much work to have HAL check for the presence of
a 'driver' symlink in /sys/bus/pci/devices/* in order to list
driverless devices.  Though I'm not sure it's particularly useful given
that some of those devices may be driven by non-kernel components
(such as Xorg for the most obvious eg).

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk