Wrong block.device entry for CD-ROM device?

Michael T raselmsh at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 02:38:43 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I tried asking on the IRC channel about this, but it doesn't appear to be very active :)

I am using libhal inside an application to query information about CD drives on the user's system, but a few users are seeing problems where the wrong device node is returned.  Getting the users concerned to do 'lshal' and look for the block.device entry in the relevant section gives the same device node that the application obtained (some of them posted the output of lshal to be sure).  In one case, lshal returned about ten different block.device entries for one CD drive, from /dev/hda to /dev/hd<something> if I recall correctly.  Does this sound familiar to anyone in anyway?  That is, does it sound like a known bug, or a known mis-use of hal, or anything else?

Regards,

Michael