HAL 0.5.10

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Oct 15 03:21:28 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 02:57:49PM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Sonntag, 14. Oktober 2007, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > 2007/10/12, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Here's a new hal (and hal-info) release
> > >
> > >  http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/hal-0.5.10.tar.gz
> > >  http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/hal-info-20071011.tar.gz
> >
> > The hal-info-20071011 release has a configure check for hal >= 0.5.10
> > and aborts if the check fails.
> > Why exactly was this added, what will happen if this hal-info release
> > is used with hal < 0.5.10 (which could happen for pre-compiled binary
> > packages)?
>
> The hal-info package need a HAL >= 0.5.10 due to new fdi-directives (*_outof)
> which wouldn't work with older HAL versions. It make no sense to use this
> hal-info version with hal =< 0.5.10 since you would lose many of the
> fdi-rules.

Still having configure doing check for things that only matter at runtime is a
bad practise IMHO. A warning instead of abort would be okay. But with the
current check, we can't create the hal-info packages without hal, which is
quite annoying.

  Sjoerd
--
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whatever you say to them they translate
into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.