HAL 0.5.10

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Mon Oct 15 06:39:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 02:12:04PM +0200, ext Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Montag, 15. Oktober 2007, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > Still having configure doing check for things that only matter at runtime
> > is a bad practise IMHO. A warning instead of abort would be okay. But with
> > the current check, we can't create the hal-info packages without hal, which
> > is quite annoying.
>
> This is nothing new. You couldn't build all features of the package (e.g.
> KillSwitch feature) without HAL before. It make simply no sense to build
> hal-info for systems with older HAL versions. Do you have a build system
> without minimal install which didn't contain HAL?

The build-time check doesn't add anything.  Most distributions worth
their salt build in a minimal chroot with only the listed build
dependencies there.

Does hal-info use HAL at build time?  If no, then there's zero reason it
should be installed at build time, given that nothing stops me from
using a completely different HAL version when installed as when built.
I mean, you can check for it and fire a warning if you find an old
version, but _requiring_ it for the _build_ is pretty pointless.

Cheers,
Daniel