Acer laptop brightness hal support

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Sep 7 06:52:55 PDT 2007

On Freitag, 7. September 2007, Michal Majchrowicz wrote:
> Hi.
> I recently spent some time on adding software way of controling
> brightness on my Acer laptop. There is acer_acpi module that adds this
> support. It creates /proc/acpi/acer/brightness which allows to
> set/read brightness. I have modified acpi.c to add to hal support for
> this module. I hope you will accept it to main tree. I don't send
> hal-system-lcd* since the contol of brightness is almost the same as
> for panasonic (and others).
> to read:
> cat /proc/acpi/acer/brightness

Only some comments:

1) this driver isn't part ot the linux kernel?! Why?

2) I didn't read the complete code and docu of the driver, but if I understood
everything correct: the driver should use the backlight interface of the
kernel. Please check what 'grep . /sys/class/backlight/* -r' print. We should
not support the absolute deprecated proc interface if there is support for
the backlight interface.

Danny