Acer laptop brightness hal support

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Sep 7 07:25:04 PDT 2007

On Freitag, 7. September 2007, Michal Majchrowicz wrote:
> On 9/7/07, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
[..]
> > 1) this driver isn't part ot the linux kernel?! Why?
> >
> > 2) I didn't read the complete code and docu of the driver, but if I
> > understood everything correct: the driver should use the backlight
> > interface of the kernel. Please check what 'grep . /sys/class/backlight/*
> > -r' print. We should not support the absolute deprecated proc interface
> > if there is support for the backlight interface.
>
> Sorry about creating another thread it was not intentional :)
> 1) The support for this kind of things was previously added by acerhk
> which uses 32 bit bios calls. However this approach will not work on
> 64 bit systems. Then the development of acer_acpi was started (which
> doesn't use bios calls and therefore works on 64 bit systems). It uses
> some WMI interface (I am not ACPI expert :)) and if I understand
> correctly this technic is not implemented in main kernel tree (yet)
> and this is why it is a seperated module. Everything is documented
> here:
> http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi/
> 2)Unfortunately I don't have any files/drectories in /sys/class/backlight
> :( Regards Michal

Please no full quote next time and no direct mails to ML members ...

to 2) You should may report this to the maintainer of the package. The README
tell this:
[...]
brightness and mail LED are not visible in sysfs/ platform device - these are
properly registered with the relevant kernel subsystem.

And on the first look the module use linux/backlight.h and the related
structure, so there should be a entry in the sysfs backlight tree. And HAL
should IMO only support this instead of proc

Danny