how to add a new bus to lshal output

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Sep 17 14:00:59 PDT 2007

On Montag, 10. September 2007, Olaf Hering wrote:
> How exactly do I add a new bus to the lshal output?
> Currenly the cdrom on legacy iSeries is not found because nothing
> handles the sysfs bus 'vio'. I came up with the patch below, which is
> copy&paste from other usage in hald/linux/device.c.
>
> A hald-addon-storage process is launched if there is no media in the
> tray. If there is one, the process is killed because reading (likely
> from libvolume_id) takes a very long time.
>
> For some reason, HAL_PROP_STORAGE_DRIVE_TYPE= is disk instead of cdrom.
> Why is that? Where is HAL_PROP_STORAGE_DRIVE_TYPE coming from anyway?

This is one of the properties of the device (storage.drive_type) and it comes
from hald/linux/blockdev.c.

I would assume it comes from the function hotplug_event_begin_add_blockdev()
and it's either the default value (from line 1044) or it's from the value of
the media (ide) or type (scsi) sysfs attribute for this device (not sure if
they exist for vio, would tip on the default value).

I think the best would be we try to take a look at this together (on a
machine) this week ;-)

Danny