hald-addon-acpi-buttons-toshiba

Phi Tran Phi.Tran at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 3 03:18:22 PDT 2008

Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:25:48 -0700
> Phi Tran <Phi.Tran at Sun.COM> wrote:
>

>>I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on a Toshiba M9 and noticed that
>>hald-addon-acpi-buttons-toshiba isn't needed.  ACPI hotkey events seem
>>to be generated by the input driver and read by hald-addon-keyboard.  Is
>>there new logic in the input driver to handle this now instead of a
>>hotkey driver?  I just started looking and couldn't tell.
>

> AFAIK Ubuntu has patched Toshiba ACPI module, which sends keys as ACPI
> events so the HAL addon is not needed in their kernel. I guess that
> generic HAL keyboard configuration[1] will apply.
>
> [1]:http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-keymap-index.html

The part I am confused about is how does the kernel ACPI module
map the ACPI hotkey event to the correct device?  For example, if there
is a laptop with a USB connected keyboard in addition to the built in
keyboard.  Is there a way in ACPI to map the hotkey being pressed to the
logical device or is there an inherent mapping to the "ACPI" keyboard.

Thanks,

Phi