automount USB drives at other than /media/volume.name HELP

Robert Stratton RStratton at quvis.com
Wed Apr 9 15:35:56 PDT 2008

I've gone about as far as I can without asking questions now,

I need to mount many different USB Hard Drives at a couple of
pre-defined
mount points. These drives will be either ext2/3 or NTFS.
I now have NTFS drives reliably automounting, but not at predictable
consistent mount points, as I don't have control of the formatting and
and naming of the drives.

I think I need a modified storage-policy.fdi to accomplish this,

/usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi  <- man says not
here
/usr/share/hal/fdi/95defaultpolicy/a.fdi               <- but here

but if I do it there it will be processed after the default policy so
I'm
at a quandry because in the 90defaultpolicy reads

<merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point"
  type="copy_property">volume.label</merge>

and assigns the /media/volume.label instead of letting me set a desired
mount point in the 95userpolicy.fdi

/usr/share/hal/fdi/50user/a.fdi                        <- what if I go
here ?

So then the question is how do I get reliable mount points in /media ?
I'd like to do mount points like /media/sdd1 /media/sde1 etc.  I'm not
an
xlm guru but it looks like I can key off of the block.device string and
strlist to assign a new value dropping off /dev/ resulting in a
volume.label
mount point of /media/sdd ?  is that anywhere near close ?

So I've been digging for a bit now and need to reach out for some help,
cannot upgrade this system forward from where it is.

I have no choice but to make an old system work before I can move
forward
to a new system,

kernel 2.6.9-67.0.7.EL
hal-0.4.2-7.EL4
kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.9-67.0.7.EL
fuse-ntfs-3g-1.2310-1

Any knowledge or direction would be appreciated.

Robert