Possible PolicyKit issues

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 21 12:06:35 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 01:34 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> I'm seeing a few PK problems on FreeBSD, but I'm not sure if this is a
> problem with our port, or an issue in general.  First, all of the tests
> David mentioned earlier (with polkit-auth) work.  The built-in tests
> also appear to work.  PK consumers also seem to work.
>
> What I'm noticing is that PolicyKit-gnome doesn't update in real-time.
> For example, if I launch polkit-gnome-authorization, then change a
> policy, the changes don't reflect in the GUI until I restart
> polkit-gnome-authorization.  Also, I'm not seeing any UI changes in
> polkit-gnome-example when I click on the various buttons (though
> polkit-gnome-manager does launch).

This suggests that file monitoring of /var/lib/misc/PolicyKit.reload is
somehow botched. Is polkit_context_io_func() in polkit-context.c ever
called if you do

 # touch /var/lib/misc/PolicyKit.reload

Is it called if you manually grant/revoke an authorization using
polkit-auth(1)? (And does /var/lib/misc/PolicyKit.reload change mtime
in that case?)

> I also don't see polkitd launch
> ever.

polkitd is only for corner cases like when a process is confined to a
chroot (e.g. the avahi daemon checking for authorizations) or if
libpolkit hasn't been bound to e.g. Python.

     David