A question about /var/run/hald/acl-list

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Thu Dec 11 16:19:19 PST 2008

Hi,

Some of our users have some troubles when booting their systems. Mudur,
the init subsystem of Pardus[0], tries to clean up /var and /tmp upon
boot and somehow fails when trying to unlink the file
/var/run/hald/acl-list. Here's a part of the backtrace of mudur:

<Type 'exceptions.OSError'> [Errno 116] Stale NFS file handle:
'/var/run/hald/acl-list'

After finding out that acl-list is the cause of the problem, I requested an ls output
of that directory:

/var/run/hald:
total 8
-????????? ? ?    ?       ?            ? acl-list
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 17:47 hald-local
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 17:47 hald-runner

I'm curious about what the question marks tries to explain but it's obvious that there's some
trouble. The user's root filesystem is a local ext3 one, no NFS or other remote share exists.

(He has an ntfs partition mounted on /mnt, i'm a little suspicious about ntfs-3g.)

What kind of acl this file holds?
Do you have an idea why this file can't be removed or should it be removed?

Thanks,

[0]: http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng

--

Ozan Çağlayan