Suspend on Acer Aspire 5520G

Sergey Skorokhodov ucayalyfish at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 26 05:29:52 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm not quite sure that this relates to this list but here is my
question.

I'm trying to fix suspend on my Aspire 5520G under Ubuntu 08.10 using
suggestions from HAL Quirk Site. nVidia driver v. 177 from Ubuntu
repository is installed.

If I suspend normally with Gnome Suspend button or Fn+F4 button, the
laptop goes to sleep with a minor problem. That is during sleeping a
black text screen with a blinking cursor on it appears and some hard
disk activity can be seen (led indicator and sound) a few seconds later.
The screen stays black with the cursor on it ever since and the power
button stays green as well. If I press some key (say Alt+F1) after 5-10
seconds the laptop goes to sleep normally and the power button blinks
red.

Unfortunately, the machine hangs during resume. The only relevant thing
I can see in dmesg is

[    1.810395] tty ptyu6: hash matches

or similar string where "pty**" part may contain different symbols. It
is strange but occasionally the computer resumes just normal with
password prompt etc.

If I suspend from gnome terminal windows with "sudo pm-suspend" or "sudo
pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post" the laptop goes to sleep the same as if I
use gnome command or functional button (I have to press a key to get
machine sleep) and resumes just ok except that X screen is not locked
and I can just resume my Gnome session.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

--