Hald not starting - hald_runner.c:runner_died():200 : Runner died

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Thu Feb 7 13:00:23 PST 2008

Joshua Gordon Crawford wrote:
> Hi all. I'm using Slackware 12.0, which has hal 0.5.9.1 and hal-info 20070618.
>
> I've recently upgraded GNOME using Gnome.SlackBuild, and since then,
> haven't been able to start hald. GSB didn't install new hal or
> hal-info packages - I still have the ones from Slackware 12.0 - and
> there's been no reports on the GSB maling list of other people having
> this problem. A log (from hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes) is attached.
>
> I dont know much about hal or how it works (all this automatic stuff
> is anathema to me - I prefer to mount things manually - but I'm not
> the only user of this machine). Searching the web for errors from my
> log, I mostly see forum posts from Ubuntu users who solved their
> problem by either reinstalling hal or ensuring it runs after DBus.
> I've re-installed, to no avail. I also tried upgrading to 0.5.10 from
> Slackware-current, and that didn't fix it either, so I went back to
> the original version. DBus is running, but I don't know much about
> that either, so I don't know how to tell if it's working properly.
>
> Please let me know how I can fix my hal installation, as my girlfriend
> updates files on her mp3 player several times a day, and I'm not
> always here to mount it for her.

Josh:

Have you upgraded or replaced your dbus package with something
from some unofficial source?

Please reply to me directly (don't send to the HAL list), as
I think this is a misconfiguration, and solving it will be
Slackware-specific, so there's no need to bore the list.
I will, however, post a summary once it's resolved (or if I'm
wrong, we'll bring it back to the list :))

-RW