Proposal v2: identifying modems and mobile broadband cards

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Mon Feb 11 09:21:59 PST 2008

Hi Dan,

> - An interface that has the "serial" capability acquires the 'modem'
> capability if the serial interface is indeed known to have a modem on
> the other side
>
> - An interface with the 'modem' capability may also acquire the property
> 'modem.at_command_sets', which is a string array of supported command
> sets, denoted by their abbreviated standards name. If the property is
> present, it is assumed the modem supports rudimentary Hayes-compatible
> AT commands.  The key may contain _one or more_ of the following values:
>
>    a) IS-707-A  (for CDMA supporting cards)
>    b) GSM-07-07  (for GSM supporting cards)
>    c) GSM-07-05  (for GSM supporting cards)

I would say we use modem.command_sets then we could specific non-AT
command sets if needed.

I think its is clear IS-* and GSM-* imply basic Hayes-compatible
commands. At least for GSM I know it is part of the specification.

Can we use the ETSI document numbers instead of calling it GSM. It is no
longer GSM only. Nowadays they cover also UMTS. For GPRS/EDGE and UMTS
the commands are actually the same.

Other than that. I am all for it. It is simple enough. Which is good.

Regards

Marcel