hal hangs USB mass storage (HP R707 camera)

Grant Grundler grundler at parisc-linux.org
Tue Jan 15 22:54:52 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:09:29PM +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Samstag, 5. Januar 2008, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I found the how to report HAL bugs page:
> >       http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HalTraces
> >
> > and am submitting requested info below to the mailing list.
> >
> > FYI, I've submitted the following bug report to Ubuntu:
> > 	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/180472
> >
> > (It contains package versions and initial bug report).
> >
> > BTW, I'm currently using an external USB hub. I've plugged the
> > HP r707 directly into the HP OB500 USB port and get the same result.
> >
> > cheers,
> > grant
>
> Please use bugzilla (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=hal)
> next time with such big logs!

Ok!
I just didn't feel like signing up for yet another bugzilla account.
If sending an email is not an option, I probably wouldn't have submitted
the report.

> Btw. Looks to me like a device problem or a kernel bug (and not a HAL bug):
>
> 877652.347289] sd 13:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error
> recovery

I agree it's probably not a HAL bug.  With just udev running and
not hald, I get the same (wrong) behavior.  I'm certain now I made
a mistake in my initial debugging and the key factor was disabling udev.
With udev disabled, I can mount dev/sdb1 and copy files from
the HPr707 camera.

cheers,
grant