ConsoleKit 0.2.4

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:23:43 PST 2008

2008/1/24, Matthias Clasen <matthias.clasen at gmail.com>:
> On Jan 24, 2008 3:01 PM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, there should be a new component sitting on top of CK and HAL.
> > Simple, isn't it.
> >
> > > This picture is much closer to the truth:
> >
> > No, it isn't.
> >

> At this point, we should agree to disagree and move on.

It's not about agreement or not. It simply isn't true atm.
CK as in version 0.2.4 links against libpolkit to talk to PK, there is
no dbus involved.
The same is true for HAL. It links against libpolkit to talk to PK.
The connection between HAL and CK is over dbus only though.

I'm not sure why you are acting so upset and I definitely don't want
to let this become a flamework. So my apologies if I said something
rude. It's just, that you haven't given any clear answesr to my raised
concerns.

Back to the point: Even if HAL and CK were changed to talk to each
other only via dbus, you would still have a functional dependency
between them. You have to express that somehow in your package
management system (be it rpm or deb based).

I have difficulties, speaking as a package maintainer, to express the
correct package relationships so a correct installation is possible.
With HAL depending on CK and PK,
PK depending on CK
and now (as you plan) CK depending on HAL an PK.
What would be the correct dependencies between the packages? In what
order would be packages be installed? E.g. for HAL and PK 0.7, you
have call polkit-auth in HAL's postinst, to grant the haldaemon read
access for the permissions. This requires an installed and working PK
and CK package. But if on the other hand CK now requires HAL to work
properly, how is this going to work?

If you can help me to unwind this knot, then we are all friends again.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?