USB Speed Checking

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:45:42 PDT 2008

Hello all,

OK I've finished by hacking for now, below is a link to a hal fdi and
callout script which will label usb devices which are slower than they
need to be (logic needs thrashing out in the real world IMO) and I
also added the libnotify based program which throws up a warning when
it sees the slowed property.

http://ugeeks.media.mit.edu/media/hal-usb-speed.tar.gz

I tested it by plugging in a USB memory stick into a usb 1.1 hub.

I've been looking into the idea of adding the notify part to
gnome-volume-manager but apparently it's transitioning to nautilus at
some point. At this point I'm happy I've got it working and the logic
isn't too hard that if someone wanted to add it to either gnome or kde
specifically (perhaps reqritten in c for speed?) With that I'm going
to stop here for now.

Thoughts?

Best Regards, Martin Owens