Time for a new release ?

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Mar 4 02:03:51 PST 2008

On Dienstag, 4. März 2008, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 19:04 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Yeah. We should get another release out. Does anyone want to drive the
> > release train this time? Maybe Danny as he's been the most active
> > lately kicking ass with applying patches. Danny, are you up for this?
>
> I can't get NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3235.fc8 to start with HAL
> from git:
>
> [root at hughsie-laptop ~]# /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
> NetworkManager: <info>  starting...
> NetworkManager: <info>  Found radio killswitch
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ipw_wlan_switch NetworkManager:
> nm_device_802_3_ethernet_new: assertion `driver != NULL' failed
> NetworkManager: nm_device_802_11_wireless_new: assertion `driver != NULL'
> failed
>
> I've attached both the old and new lshals to this email, but nothing
> looks that different to me apart from the net.physical_device removal.

I would tip on a NM bug and not a HAL bug. Not sure what they do, but the net
device/interface (capablities: net and e.g. net.80203) has never a
info.linux.driver property. Only the parent of the net interface has this
key. IMO you should report the problem to NM developer. I can only assume
they try to get the parent of the device via net.physical_device and not via
net.originating_device as they should do since 12 months. And I assume they
use the returnvalue of checking net.physical_device without any checks which
is really fatal.

Danny