Identifying mobile phones as modems

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 12:45:57 PDT 2008

Hi all,

in February it was discussed how modems and mobile broadband cards
should be identified (1, 2, 3) and the result was a nice patch to solve
the issue (4). So far, so good.

I'm now wondering how to deal with a mobile phone connected via a
serial/usb cable being used as a modem with NetworkManager. I need the
entry below (5) in the file 10-modem.fdi with my Nokia 6021 connected
to my laptop via a Nokia CA-42 cable. As the CA-42 cable is only for
Nokia phones it should be safe to add this or what do you think? If
this is not a good option does anyone have better ideas?

Thanks!

1) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-February/010747.html
2) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-February/010759.html
3) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-February/010780.html