hal-info: Do not mount the CD drive of the Huawei E220 USB HSDPA modem

Sam Morris sam at robots.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 14:43:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 21:02 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 18:13 +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
> > Package: hal-info
> > Version: 20080215-1
> > Severity: normal
> > Tags: patch
> >
> > The Huawei E220 is a USB HSPDA/GPRS modem. It appears to the computer as
> > a USB CD drive, on which are drivers for Windows systems. Of course, we
> > need no such drivers, so the CD drive is useless and annoying as it is
> > mounted by GNOME whenever a user logs in.
> >
> > The attached patch (taken from
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/105545>)
> > causes HAL to ignore the CD drive.
>
> That's wrong. There's a blacklist in the kernel for that. See:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/597829
>
> It's even mentioned in the bug you linked. The quirk in the kernel tree
> is supposed to poke the device into serial mode, from storage mode. Why
> is that not working?

The quirk is working--I can access /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 and
successfully connect to the network with the device. But the CD drive
remains.

Perhaps <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.devel/59635> has a
clue to the answer?

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078