Free-BSD large FAT-Partitions, NTFS-Partitions

peter weismann pit at weispit.eu
Thu Mar 6 05:10:35 PST 2008

In Free-BSD 6.3 and 7.0, the choice for kernel option MSDOSFS_LARGE is
no longer available, instead, mount_msdosfs can be used with
option -o large now, to mount FAT partitions larger then 128GB
manually. However, HAL will not mount them automatically, as it used
to do in earlier Free-BSDs with mentioned kernel option realized.

I have tried a change in
/usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi
and added a line:
<append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">large</append>
in the section
      <!-- allow these mount options for vfat -->
      <match key="volume.fstype" string="vfat">
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
string="FreeBSD">
but it wouldn't work.

I also did not get NTFS partitions mounted by HAL rw, only manually as
root; automatically they are mounted ro by HAL.

I am pretty low leveled user of Unix and don't know how to solve
these, but mean to see a chance here somewhere with the fdi files.
Could you help me, please? (in other words: can you explain me, what
to do?)

--
:

|___(_nun_mit_FreeBSD:-> 7.0-RELEASE_)__|

|      frohes schaffen dank open source
|
|      pit at weispit.eu

|___(_nun_mit_FreeBSD:-> 7.0-RELEASE_)__|

"Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix.
I don't think that this is a coincidence."
From: The UNIX-HATERS Handbook, ISBN 1-56884-203-1