Problems with hal-0.5.10 and x86-input-evdev-1.20

Christian P. Schmidt charlie at digadd.de
Mon Mar 10 05:56:06 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm having an interesting problem with hal-0.5.10 and
x86-input-evdev-1.20. I did the complete switch to evdev input, which
works - almost - prefect now. Close to what I ever wanted, no complex
mouse/keyboard setup, usb hotplugging - just there!

If it wasn't for one thing: vmware-workstation or vmware-server-console
are unable to send cursor up/down/right/left, page up/down, insert,
delete, home, end keys to the client. After some troubleshooting I can
conclude that this only occurs when running hald during X startup, and
is because the keycodes for (at least these) keys change. Maybe more;
I'm not completely sure yet. This is confirmed by xev, as the attached
logs show.

My guess is that vmware is relying on the keycodes rather than the
translated keysyms, which breaks. Is there a way I can override this
behavior?

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC: me on any replies.

Regards,
Chris