Identifying mobile phones as modems

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 11:24:16 PDT 2008

Hi!

> > the phone to the cable, ie just the cable doesn't seem to cause
> > anything here.
>
> Yes, but if you plug a different phone, it will still have the same
> vendor/product IDs. There's active components in the cable.

Ok, now I got the point, thanks. In this specific example case (Nokia
CA-42) it would be rather safe however to assume that everything
connected via it would support those GSM features mentioned, no?

> That's correct. And I don't think that it would be much of a problem
> for gnokii in this case.

Right. After these and other clarifications, is it any clearer would
something like the patch in the original post (1) be acceptable or
should other options be considered?

1) http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-March/011081.html

Thanks.