Improving the suspend quirks guessworking

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed Mar 26 08:10:55 PDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 26. März 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:26:41PM +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 26. März 2008, Victor Lowther wrote:
> > > It is getting to be more and more common.  Intel, AMD, and nVidia have
> > > won the graphics wars for now.  Intel now has a sane in-kernel driver
> > > that does not require quirks,
> >
> > You don't sound logical! If e.g. Intel don't need any quirks, then these
> > machine would break with the quirks Matthew proposed! A argument against
> > these quirks, or not?
>
> So where the drivers are able to resume without quirks, we never use any
> quirks. That's currently stuff using i915 and higher, and the binary
> nvidia and fglrx drivers.

Only one example where it breaks for me one machine: Dell XPS M1330 (Intel
GM965/GL960) break without quirks and i915 kernel driver (kernel version
2.6.24 and 2.6.25-rc5-git3). This machine obviously need quirks which isn't
possible with your patch since there is _no_ way to overwrite the case that a
machine with Intel/Nvidia/fglrx still needs special quirks to run. I assume
this is only one of potentially many cases.

So your patch would break still working machines.

Danny