hal vs acpid

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Mar 27 12:39:19 PDT 2008

On Donnerstag, 27. März 2008, Scott White wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Scott White  wrote:
> >>  But for the short term I am stuck with it and was wondering if anything
> >> was being done about this issue.  I don't have any gnome stuff, but I
> >> will try kpowersave and see what it does.
> >
> > If you need to be on the console or just don't want to pull in
> > gnome-power-manager or kpowersave, then you can try using ivman to
> > listen for HAL events.
> >
> > http://ivman.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > It seems like it should be able to do what you're after.
>
> Thanks I will look at it.  I spend about 50% of my time at the command
> prompt and 50% inside KDE.

If you already use KPowersave, then I would propose you use also powersaved,
which take automatically care about powermanagement if there is no KPowersave
(as e.g. if the user isn't logged in or if there is no desktop running)
instance running or if the user session get inactive.

AFAIK powersave should also handle the power button in such cases.

Danny