Keymap overrides for media keys

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at acm.org
Mon May 5 05:28:00 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have an HP dv6519 laptop. It has some touch sensitive media keys at
the top of the keyboard, as well as fn-<number> combinations. These
mostly work, but the one exception is the stop key. The keydown event
(e024) works, but the keyup event (e0a4) is mapped to the eject key,
and ejects the DVD drive.

Its matched by the dv6500 clause in 30-keymap-hp.fdi, so I tried adding:

          <append key="input.keymap.data"
type="strlist">e0a4:stopcd</append>   <!-- FnF10 (stop) - keyup -->

to the file, and restarting hal. lshal shows input.keymap.data as
including 'e0a4:stopcd', but it still ejects the dvd drive which is
mapped to XF86Eject.

I got the e0a4 from scankeys -s under a separate VT, so I'm assuming
that that is right.

Similar results when I try to add a mapping for fn-f3 (www) - e032:www
(keydown) and e0b2:www (keyup) don't seem to work, although they show
up in lshal.

Is there some way to get extra debugging out of this? Theres nothing
in dmesg showing a missing keycode either before or after my changes -
is X possibly getting in before hal has a chance to do its stuff, or
something?

This is F8 on x86_64, FWIW.

(Please CC me on responses; I'm not subscribed to the list)

Thanks,

Bradley