Update on DeviceKit

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 7 08:39:10 PDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 07.05.08 13:47, Holger Macht (hmacht at suse.de) wrote:
> > Yes, I think of it like following:
> >
> > Having a subsystem daemon for power management incuding:
> >
> >  org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.*
> > 				.PowerSupply
> > 				.CPUFreq
> > 				.Backlight
>
> I think it would be best if backlight control is left to X. For some
> graphics cards its already properly exported in XRANDR. XRANDR knows
> about multiple screens, hotplug and stuff, is network transparent and
> so on. It's also much easier for normal desktop apps like cheese to
> use the backlight as a flash if its exported via XRANDR.

And what if there is no X running (e.g. machine runs on tty*) and someone
wants to control the brightness? There should be a way to use the available
kernel interfaces without X if possible. I would prefer to have brightness
handling still in HAL/DeviceKit.

> For those devices where backlight control cannot be done via the
> graphics hardware the kernel interfaces should be hooked up to X. And
> there are already many cases were brightness can be controlled via the
> gfx hw (i.e. X) but not via the kernel interfaces.

And IIRC I have seen several cases where it didn't work via XBACKLIGHT, but
via HAL (e.g. Dell machines).

> Backlight control via HAL should be phased out, together with HAL itself.

Would like to see backlight control in DeviceKit.

Danny