Update on DeviceKit

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 7 09:59:36 PDT 2008

On Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 18:44 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > Nobody speak about a "new fancy backlight control daemon". It should
> > simply go into a DeviceKit-powermanagement (or how ever you would like to
> > call it) and should provice at least the same functionality as currently
> > HAL. And because of this KDE or GNOME (or whatever) applications could
> > use simply the new DBus interface instead of HAL. Thats much easier than
> > do everything through X.
>
> Why is this easier than to use X? What happens if you attach a secondary
> monitor? What about remote X displays?

1) I would like to be able to change the brightness also if I'm on my laptop
on console and remove the AC plug (e.g. in a system wide policy daemon that
handle basic powermanagement if no desktop application handle it).

2) It's part of powermanagement (at least on laptops) and we should have a
common interface for that. I don't like to call 3 or more different
interfaces to do simple powermanagement tasks (like get battery/AC info from
one, get/set brightness from another and call SetPowersave on an other
again ...).

3) Provide X a DBus interface for this? If not: is this planed? You maybe
don't want to depend on X libraries. A DBus interface is more usefull and
independent (you don't need to link against a X lib, ...).

Danny