Update on DeviceKit

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed May 7 10:30:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:23:41PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> By the same token should we also care about voltage / power management
> on the GPU etc? Of course, not, leave that to the _driver_. Which is X.

No, we've learned that lesson. Policy decisions belong in userspace, but
the mechanism belongs in the kernel - you really don't want scheduling
latencies hitting you when you're playing with dynamic power management
states. Think cpufreqd compared to the ondemand governor. You can argue
that policy decisions should be made through the X server, but at that
point it's really just an argument about who's echoing a value into
sysfs.

> Omitting a backlight interface on o.fd.DeviceKit.Power also has a lot to
> do with keeping things simple (or simpler) and make it easy for people
> new to hacking on Linux on where to fix bugs / fix their system. It's
> _confusing_ the way it is right now. And that confusion is hurting us
> insofar that people wanting to contribute / fix their system waste time
> looking in the wrong place.

There's nothing simple about backlight control. Anyone who claims
otherwise hasn't spent enough time dealing with the hardware...

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org