Update on DeviceKit

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed May 7 11:35:14 PDT 2008

2008/5/7 Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at nokia.com>:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:39:48PM +0100, ext Matthew Garrett wrote:
>  > I should probably clarify something here. On a lot of hardware, the
>  > backlight is *not* related to the graphics hardware in any reasonable
>  > way. It's possible to make X handle this, but at that point X is just
>  > your abstraction layer.
>  It's an abstraction layer that already deals with multiple devices and
>  displays both in a sensible way, so HAL would have to strictly follow
>  RandR 1.2 (and only people with DRM modesetting would get that useful
>  mapping) in order to be even remotely useful for configuration.

What about fast user switching and other systems where you are likely
to have multiple X daemons? You'd need to teach X to either talk to
ConsoleKit over DBus or write yet another system daemon to keep track
of screens changing their active sessions...

Not to mention having cloned output and other not so straightforward scenarios.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution