Update on DeviceKit

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed May 7 11:40:03 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:04:03PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 07.05.08 18:25, Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) wrote:
> > That would involve an XML parser in the kernel. Thanks, Dell.
>
> WTF? Dell has XML stuff in the BIOS? ouch. And there's no way around
> parsing that?

Yeah. Newer machines provide the standard ACPI interface, so it's not a
problem there. On anything before about 2006, we have problems. The
SMBIOS tables contain embedded XML. To change the brightness, you parse
the XML and retrieve a token that tells you where the brightness control
is. This can vary between machines (and potentially bios versions...),
so there's no obvious way around it. We probably need this to carry on
living in userspace.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org