Update on DeviceKit

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu May 8 07:52:50 PDT 2008

On Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008, Holger Macht wrote:
> On Thu 08. May - 14:27:29, Matthew Garrett wrote:
[..]
> > Well, yes, but what does that mean? You can't rate performance on a
> > scale of 0-100 - there's multiple factors at play. Is performance a
> > latency issue? A raw power one? What should the thresholds for ondemand
> > be? If you're altering multiple factors, then for some workloads a
> > higher value may yield lower performance. If you're only altering one
> > factor, you may not be obtaining maximum performance for that power
> > consumption. Trying to squash this into a linear scale doesn't work.
>
> You always get more performance for the price of more power
> consumption. And having less performance results in lower power
> consumption and in a non ideal world, you might cope with more latency. At
> least this should be the goal. How can you say it doesn't work? It _does_.

And I see no reason why we should provide such a interface. Nobody force you
to use it and if you don't touch it, it do whatever the default on your
machine is (I assume ondemand gov.). But there are always users (and
usecases) where e.g. a single laptop user or a desktop user want to be able
to incluence the settings without touching sysfs (where you need to be root
to change something).

Danny