How do I tell hal not to handle a device?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue May 20 07:10:09 PDT 2008

I know I've seen this somewhere in some doc, but for the life of me I
can't find it again.

I have a USB device that I want to be user mounted.  I don't want it to
be automounted.

I've added it to fstab:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/0123-4567     /media/Sansa    vfat
user,sync,rw,nosuid,nodev,noauto        0       0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/3738-3631     /media/SansaSD  vfat
user,sync,rw,nosuid,nodev,noauto       0       0

so my users can mount it but hal still feeds the info to
gnome-volume-manager as /dev/sd?1 so it gets mounted.  (Aside: if hal
doesn't handle devices in fstab, shouldn't the above entries prevent
automounting?)

So I want to tell hal that if it sees this device, either as a USBID or
as a UUID, then just leave it alone.

--Yan

--
  o__