[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 29 06:36:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 03:22:19PM +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> But quirks depend on hardware, kernel, external kernel modules, xorg
> libraries and xorg drivers. What is needed now might not be needed
> tomorrow. This solution sounds like we'll have to stick to these
> defaults for the rest of our lives (there is no way to be sure all
> affected systems have been tested as there is no list of affected
> systems).

All the quirks will be going away in the not especially distant future.
This has always been a short term workaround for the fact that the
kernel wasn't looking after graphics itself. It's more useful to make
machines work without asking users to hack configuration files than it
is to worry about the long-term maintainability, because there is no
long-term here.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org