access regulation for block devices with hal?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Nov 1 01:14:13 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 22:04 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> For this kind of setup, using fstab would actually be the easiest
> solution. However, you say that this isn't flexible enough, why? NB
> that fstab can't only just use device names, but UUIDs and labels as
> well, which are usually enough to identify a device (nothing that you
> can't fake, of course).
>
> So what are you *actually* trying to do? I don't think anyone will be
> able to help you if you don't give a full description of how you want
> to identify devices, what limitations you see with fstab, etc.

Actually, I thought Jelle's description was simple enough - support for
removable storage devices on a multi-user system, and the associated
challenges of managing permissions correctly. I'm no expert, but sounds
like the kind of situation ConsoleKit was invented for - maybe one of
the experts on that could comment?

Simon.