[Pm-utils] Video quirks without HAL or dbus

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:22:02 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 03:55 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:
> This is a minimal prototype implementation of a tool that can be used to
> query the quirk database when HAL and dbus are not running.  I will also
> use it to test some ideas I ahve w.r.t how to best handle video driver
> and kernel revisions in the video quirks without having to patch HAL.

I really don't think you should be parsing XML in shell script... Keep
pm-utils lean and simple. Also bear in mind that as drivers are being
converted to KMS (kernel mode setting) we'll need to rip out loads of
quirks long term anyway.

Quirks are still very needed to get things to work right now, but I
don't think we need such an infrastructure around something that doesn't
have a long term future on most video hardware.

Richard.