[hal patch] increase helper timeout

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 11 02:07:23 PST 2008

Danny Kukawka [2008-11-10 13:35 +0100]:
> I'm not sure if it's the right way to simply double the timeout (why 20s and
> not e.g. 15 or another number?).

Right, as I initially said, it's equally arbitrary than the original
10 seconds, but for the three bug reports I saw, 20 was sufficient and
fixed their CD-ROMs.

> Especially since it looks as if this happen only in rare cases.

Yes, that's true.

> And it looks to me as if it could be also a kernel problem (since some ppl.
> report that it worked with older kernel versions, but not with newer). Did
> someone check why it don't work for some devices (I got never such a report
> with SUSE products) and where it hangs?

Not to my knowledge. As said, it's utterly hardware specific and thus
hard to reproduce and debug.

> Btw. If it hangs on probing the filesystem on the volume you can revert the
> change since we can also do this:
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/dkukawka/hal.git;a=commitdiff;h=7aca1f3fefefd3c760636aabcff1e25946ab6391

That looks like a good idea in any case. I can't say whether it fixes
that particular issue, since it is probably a combination of vol_id
being slow, and the CD-ROM needing a lot of time to detect and spin up
the CD.

Thanks,

Martin