LifeDrive and T|X not seen by hal

Matt Behrens matt at zigg.com
Sun Nov 9 12:51:54 PST 2008

The Palm LifeDrive, which I have, and presumably also the Palm T|X,
which I don't, have a "Drive Mode" function that effectively turns them
into a USB hard drive.

However, I don't think hal sees these drives as Palm seems to have a
funny idea of what a FAT32 filesystem should look like.  At the very
least, there is no backup FAT.

I should add that a properly-formatted SD card, put into the LifeDrive's
slot, is detected properly, then automounted and the whole shebang by GNOME.

The Ubuntu bug where this problem has been discussed for a few years now
is at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/81219.

I took an image of a newly reformatted FAT32 partition from the
LifeDrive and have uploaded it to
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19129151/sdb1.img.bz2.  Can this perhaps
help someone figure out what the problem is?