hal: Branch 'master'

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:52:27 PST 2008

2008/11/11 Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
> Martin Pitt wrote:
>

>> I understood this patch differently. vfat, iso9660, etc. file systems
>> do not have a concept of uid/gid, which is why they are mapped to
>> 'root' by default, and mount provides uid=/gid= options to assing them
>> to someone else by default. ntfs does support uids (AFAIK, haven't
>> ever used it in practice), but they are not related at all to Linux
>> UIDs, and thus shouldn't really be used when mounting under Linux.
>> Thus ntfs should use mount's uid=/gid= overwriting, similar to vfat.
>
> ntfs (in-kernel) and ntfs-3g both
> provide the option to override the uid/gid (otherwise the fs is mounted
> with owner root:root). As ntfs-3g is treated as a different fstype
> (which is wrong imho, should only be a different fs driver), the patch

I think with Danny's latest changes in head, my patch is no longer necessary.
Of course, this requires changes to the userspace mount tools, like gnome-mount.
So it still can be useful in the meantime. and could/should be
reverted when the userspace tools are fixed.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?