ntfs-3g preferred handler [WAS: automount ntfs volumes]

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Nov 11 20:29:03 PST 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:30:20 +0100
Ambroz Bizjak <ambro at b4ever.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 30 October 2008 18:20:01 you wrote:
> > Danny, I saw the commit in your HAL repo. I appreciate that you
> > added it. However you misspelled it: should be "preferred", not
> > "prefered" :) .
> >
> > Regards, Ambroz
>
> About the preferred mount handler option, I also think a better
> description would be something like:
>
> "The preferred alternative mount handler/filesystem. Allows e.g. a
> distributor to define a preferred handler. If not set, the default
> handler should be used, otherwise it must be the name of one of one
> of the alternative handlers, as in
> <literal>volume.fstype.alternative</literal>."
>
> This would give us the power to say to use the default handler even
> if alternatives are present.

Okay, if my understanding on this is correct, the way this will work is
something along these lines:

ntfs-3g ships an fdi file that declares it to be a possible alternative
filesystem driver for ntfs; it does *not* declare itself to be the
preferred handler.  The distribution will ship a separate fdi file
declaring the preferred handler.

If that's correct, then how are you guys planning to do that?
Basically match on "ntfs" as the fstype, and then merge "ntfs-3g" as
the volume.fstype.alternative.preferred  ?

-RW