[solved] hal does not start anymore

Johanna Bilder j.bilder at gmx.net
Thu Nov 13 13:26:46 PST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 12. November 2008 14:18:50 schrieb Martin Pitt:
Hi Martin,

> Hi Johanna,
>
> Johanna Bilder [2008-11-12 11:54 +0100]:
> > *** [DIE] hald.c:main():785 : Could not init PolicyKit context: (null)
>
> That's exactly what I get if I forcefully remove the "policykit"
> package. However, the package "hal" depends on "policykit", so that
> shouldn't actually be possible. How did you install this system? Did
> you happen to install some packages manually and --force-*'ed away the
> dependency checks?
>
> If you don't have the package "policykit" installed, does installing
> it help? What does "sudo apt-get -f install" do for you? (This command
> attempts to repair your system by installing missing dependencies,
> configures half-installed packages, and so on).
Your helpful hint was the policykit.
I  did not know anything about the dependencies, that hal depends on the
policykit. I could read the error message, but did not recognize the sense to
find out, that it was corrupted.
I removed it, hal also was removed, then installed it again, installed hal and
all was okay.

Thank you very much for your friendy help.

best regards
Johanna from Germany