automount ntfs volumes (was ntfs volume and locale= option)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 11:43:39 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka at ntfs-3g.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Robby Workman wrote:
>
>> Okay, all that being the case, we still need to work something out to
>> have a modicum of consistency among distributions.  I'll bet I'm not
>> alone in being often frustrated by reports of "I can do $x in
>> $distribution, but it works differently in $other_distribution - how do
>> I replicate the behaviour in $distribution?"  We (Slackware) ship an fdi
>> file in our ntfs-3g package that seems to work out well, at least for
>> the majority of users, but of course, there are going to be corner
>> cases.   Maybe we packagers can work out a "de-facto" standard, so as
>> an effort to start that process, here's our fdi file (attached).
>> Comments and criticism welcome :-)
>
> Thanks. We tried to walk on this path a few times, sadly without much
> success.
>
> The above approach works for specific distribution versions __until__
> ntfs-3g or HAL is upgraded (or downgraded). Which happens too often.

IMO, if you put an example fdi file in the tarball and explain it in
the README (don't install it), packagers will follow your lead and
start using it or crafting a file based on it to use with the HAL in
their distro. There will probably be cases where this fdi file is
wrong (as you already know), but at least you pinpoint a place where
that discussion happens. I'm guessing that you have a better idea of a
proper ntfs-3g fdi file than anyone.

--
Dan