Thinkpad keymaps Fn+F5 wireless vs. bluetooth

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Oct 16 15:33:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

it seems that hal is somehow overriding the thinkpad buttons, so that the
buttons can be used in linux instead of accessing the hardwar directly, e.g.
when I run

lshal --monitor --long

I see that pressing Fn+F5 triggers some event like "Wifi button pressed" or
similiar. However, on my Thinkpad X41 the button is originally used to
control the bluetooth setup, i.e. enable and disable it. It seems that this
can nowadays also happen with sofware, because after booting Fedora 10 Snap
10, bluetooth was enabled all the time (the led was lid) and I was not able
to disable it with Fn+F5.

I do not know, whether this button operates on wifi for newer thinkpads, but
in the fdi file, it is only called "radio".
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-module-thinkpad-acpi.fdi

Can you please make it enable/disable bluetooth again for my thinkpad X41?

I will provide the output of

lshal | egrep "(system.hardware.(product|vendor|version)|
system.firmware.version"

"tomorrow".

Regards,
Till