strange duplication in Fedora 9

Andrew nospam at flight.us
Fri Oct 24 13:39:07 PDT 2008

I have installed Fedora 9 on many different hardware systems (each with different network hardware), and for each and every system i installed, the nm-applet has always shown two, redundant, identical copies of available WiFi Access Points.

After living with this relatively benign (but annoying) bug, I finally got around to investigating it and, with the help of the NetworkManager gurus, have traced the problem to hal.

It turns out that on all my Fedora 9 systems, lshal is always reporting TWO instances of my wifi card. On one system, for example, i have:

wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04
wlan3: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1d_d9_5f_d9_04_2

this is ALWAYS the case, on boot.  I've upgraded to the latest hal, and the latest udev (just today) on one of the systems -- no difference.

both lines refer to the same wifi hardware.

When i restart haldaemon, however, the redundancy goes away (FWIW: in some cases, clean restart fails to occur; killing and starting works, however)

	-------

Another (apparently correlational) clue seems to be:

"ps aux | grep hal" returns a slightly different output before and after i restart haldaemon ( /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart )

The line that is different is:

(before restart):

hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event5 /dev/input/event8 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event7 /dev/input/event6 /dev/input/event1 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event8 /dev/input/event7 /dev/input/event6 /dev/input/event5 /dev/input/event1

(after restart):

hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event5 /dev/input/event8 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event7 /dev/input/event6 /dev/input/event1

Please help!

TIA

andrew