automount ntfs volumes

Ambroz Bizjak ambro at b4ever.net
Tue Oct 28 11:35:32 PDT 2008

Danny Kukawka wrote:
> Why not simply make it configureable in KDE (as you currently can set mount
> options or mount points) instead of doing it in HAL. IMO it should be a
> desktop issue/decision instead of the base system.
>
> Yes it can happen, but I'm currently not sure if there will be really more
> than one alternative driver at the same time.
>
> Besides that it should be "volume.fstype.alternative.prefered" (string) if
we
> really need it in HAL.
>
> Danny

Because it's simpler. Without it, if a distribution would want to make ntfs-3g
the default, it would have to configure it for every desktop environment.
We really do not want to make it that hard for distributors, or they will
continue to resort to hacks like forcefully changing the fstype.

And yes, there probably will be no more than one alternative driver, but
still, you made "volume.fstype.alternative" a string list.