Wacom tablets hotplug and HAL.

Alexia Death alexiadeath at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 03:23:33 PDT 2008

Hello,

Ive been researching into getting my wacom tablet to hotplug nicely now that
Xorg supports it and there is some progress, but it is not complete and I
seem to be stuck at HAL. Perhaps you can tell me what needs to be done to
solve this or if it is an HAL issue at all.

Namely, wacom tablets on kernel side are one device. However for X they are
3 devices that in Xorg conf have 3 device sections and thus would need to be
added by HAL to X 3 times. Right now driver can be specified and
configuration options for only one out of several Types of input that the
tablet provides. Tablets provide atm following types of events -  stylus,
cursor, eraser, and pad. Not all of them are present for all models. My
bamboo specifically has stylus, eraser and pad. At this moment I can only
hotplug stylus because I can set only one type and only one device is added
to X.

So, where should this be fixed so all devices that tablets offer would be
usable?

--Alexia