communication between UDEV and HALD

Girish Hilage girish_hilage at persistent.co.in
Fri Sep 19 02:16:28 PDT 2008

Hi,

   I am using Fedora Core 8 machine.
   I am running "udevmonitor --kernel --udev" :

   A. In case 'hald' is running it shows following events :
       add (when I plugin the CD ROM)
       remove (when I plugout the CD ROM)
       umount (when I eject the CD ROM)
       mount (when I insert the CD ROM)

   B. In case 'hald' is stopped I can only see add,remove events but not
the umount,mount events.

   So, I have following queries :
       1. why I can not see umount and mount in case B above
       2. how 'hald' and 'udev' communicate. Is there any document
available on this?
       3. if I use 'hald' then is 'automount' not required
       4. how 'automount' and 'udev' communicate

Regards,
Girish

DISCLAIMER