dellWirelessCtl

Marc Ferland mferland at harfangmicro.com
Mon Sep 22 08:25:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm currently running the Sabayon Linux distro (64bit, kernel 2.6.26) on
a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. The problem I'm having is with the
dellWirelessCtl program. Each time it is run, it uses a lot of CPU and
the machine becomes "jerky".

I asked Micheal E. Brown from Dell about the issue and here's what he
had to say:

> This, unfortunately, is normal. The dellWirelessCtl program uses an SMI
> interrupt to ask BIOS about the status, which causes BIOS to take over
> from the OS to do its thing before it returns. You can probably set HAL
> to run it less often.
> --
> Michael

So my question is: How can I tell the HAL daemon to stop running this
task every 6-7 sec. Is there a way to disable it?

Regards,

Marc