Strange mounting issue with ext3

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 7 17:08:12 PDT 2009

Roderich Schupp wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> The last thing I want is having a user-permission-squashed ext3
>> partition. For that matter, I am not sure I like the idea of an
>> auto-mounted ext[23] file system at all. The last thing I want is
>> someone to be able to copy a SUID program from a removable file
>> system without having root access in the first place.
>
> That whole paragraph makes no sense to me.
>
> Chers, Roderich

It should have been two paragraphs.

Because I sometimes have drives with files from more then one user,
I do not want all the files accessible by the console user just by
plugging in the drive. Mounting the drive as a
"user-permission-squashed" file system would allow this.

Most of the time, I do not want ext[23} formatted drives to be
auto-mounted in the first place, even if they get mounted normally,
and not "user-permission-squashed".

But I may be too paranoid - I tend to use an encrypted file system
and/or a locked hard drive for things I want to keep private. I
especially like encfs.

Mikkel